WTB Lancair 360 $120,000+

Buy, Sell. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics and things that can be used by others (or if you need specific items). As of April 1, 2018 all Classified are paid listings. There are options for listings on LancairParts.store and LancairsForSale.com depending on parts, aircraft or kits for sale. WTB ads are free. Contact admin for more information.
Forum rules
WTB(Want to Buy) ads are free. WTS(Selling) ads have a fee to support this site. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics BUT YOU MUST INCLUDE A PRICE. A fee of 1% of asking price per month applies but that is capped at $25 maximum monthly. Example $300 part is $3. An airplane would be $25.
Contact admin for more information. Make your payment directly using the PayPal button. Thank you!

WTB Lancair 360 $120,000+

Postby Craig Spirko » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Yes, I’m another guy looking to buy the perfect Lancair 360. I just sold my previous plane and have cash burning a hole in my pocket. Before I buy a project plane and spend many months outfitting it to my liking (which I entirely expect to do), I’ll ask: Are you, or is anyone you know, interested in selling:

Required:
-Mark II, Large Tail Lancair 360
-Very good condition, quality build, good flying plane
-IO360 low-time engine
-Tilt Up Canopy (with Legacy-type latch)
-Simple Paint Scheme (two pin stripes on a white aircraft and small N-numbers would be perfect.)
-Not heavy
-Full Garmin IFR G3X Touch Panel. (2x GDU 460, GTN650, GMC305 or 307, Garmin Transponder, Audio Panel, and Servos) I know Dynons and other panels are excellent, but I’ve flown 1,500 hrs behind the G3X Touch and got my instrument rating with it and I don’t wish to change.
-Enough fuel capacity for long flights.
Reasonably fast. The 360s on my field generally do 210kts, but I don’t expect more than 200.

Preferred (since I'm asking for the moon anyway)
Angle valve IO 360, but parallel is ok
Outback landing gear(if doors close completely) but standard is fine.
Wing Tip Extensions (with fuel) preferred but not necessary.

Again, I know this is a shot in the dark at a unicorn, but if you know of anyone interested in selling such a plane, please let me know.

-Craig
Craig Spirko

Re: WTB Lancair 360 $120,000+

Postby Matt Candelaria » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 pm

"Reasonably fast. The 360s on my field generally do 210kts, but I don’t expect more than 200"

I think you are hearing some tall tales at your field. Expect to be lucky at 200kts with a small tail 360 and a Parallel valve engine. An angle valve will help a lot but those are rare because they don't really fit.

I just sold a 360 with Parallel valve engine. 10:1 pistons, Superior cold air Induction, a Lightspeed ignition and ram air. If I pushed it down at say 6500 feet I could get it to 205kts. That being said it did have chipped up leading edges so that slowed it down some. Mine would typically fly between 195-200kts from 8500-10500.

The big tail is actually the Legacy tail if what I have heard is true. I have seen one, they look silly large on that plane. Of course the small tail looks silly small to be fair.

You are not going to get a big tail 360 to go 210kts, 200kts if you have over 200HP perhaps but that requires the Angle valve which very few have.

Why the big tail? Once you learn how to deal with the CG issues related to the small tail, it is a non issue. I flew the small tail for 10 years without any problems. I suppose you read that one article. I recall reading that article and being a little frightened. I got over it because I already had the 360 and I already had learned of the CG issue with the small tail.

Matt
Matt Candelaria

Postby Rob Tuncks » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 pm

The accident rate is very clear the small tail is always an issue.
Large tail with IO 360
I see 190 TAS @ 8,000 feet this height is the sweet spot for my ac BUT
My gear doors did not fit very well.
Tape (protective) on the leading edge.
Old chipped 3 blade hatzel prop.
Cowl had metal strip round bottom hanging in the breeze.

Since my wheels up this has all changed will know soon what my new number really is.
I don't see 200 as unrealistic a few posters on here have way quicker ac.
Rob Tuncks

Postby Chris Zavatson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Matt Candelaria wrote:
You are not going to get a big tail 360 to go 210kts, 200kts if you have over 200HP perhaps but that requires the Angle valve which very few have.

Well that isn’t quite true. Top speed is heavily dependent on the airframe build. I have a completely stock -from the factory- carbureted O360, 180 hp, MKII tail and top out at 216 KTAS. I pull it back to a more modest 205 KTAS for cruise.

Matt Candelaria wrote:Why the big tail?

Much larger CG range (~3” more aft range).
And positive stability in entire flight/CG envelope.
Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
L360-std
www.N91CZ.net
Chris Zavatson

Postby Craig Spirko » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm

I'm sure you're correct, Matt, it's not unusual for pilots to exaggerate airspeed. However, the L360 pilots I'm referring to have very impressive winning times in the Airventure Cup Race. That said, even 190kts. will be an improvement over my last experimental.

As far as large tail, yes, I've read Chris Z's stability comparison https://www.lancairowners.com/stability-comparison-between-original-mkii-tails-for-lancair-320-360-aircraft and deserved or not, Big Tail 360s appear to sell much more quickly and at a significantly higher price than Small Tails. Obviously, there are showroom quality small tails that command deservedly very high prices. I'd like to be able to sell the plane when the time comes. In fact, there's a small tail L360 in Virginia with most of the items on my list and a fairly reasonable asking price, it's been for sale more than a year now.

Thanks for sharing your insights Matt.
-Craig
Craig Spirko

Postby Matt Candelaria » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Craig, big tail or small tail, you will be happy. They are great planes. I sold mine because I upgraded to an ES. I would have loved to keep it but my wallet and wife would not allow it.

Matt
Matt Candelaria

Postby Craig Spirko » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:10 pm

On the off chance it’ll make a difference, I’M OFFERING A FINDERS FEE FOR A LEAD THAT ENDS IN A SALE. Maybe you know someone who isn’t flying their L360 much anymore but isn’t thinking about selling now it’s winter?
Craig Spirko

Return to Classifieds