WTB: TSIO-550, core only

Buy, Sell. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics and things that can be used by others (or if you need specific items). As of April 1, 2018 all Classified are paid listings. There are options for listings on LancairParts.store and LancairsForSale.com depending on parts, aircraft or kits for sale. WTB ads are free. Contact admin for more information.
Forum rules
WTB(Want to Buy) ads are free. WTS(Selling) ads have a fee to support this site. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics BUT YOU MUST INCLUDE A PRICE. A fee of 1% of asking price per month applies but that is capped at $25 maximum monthly. Example $300 part is $3. An airplane would be $25.
Contact admin for more information. Make your payment directly using the PayPal button. Thank you!

WTB: TSIO-550, core only

Postby Peter Craig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Please excuse me if I'm posting out-of-place. I've recently purchased a IV-P which needs an engine (among other things, including panel....so I'll see about ordering through this site when the time comes).

I would like to have the engine built by Western Skyways (as I have a good relationship with them, and live relatively close, so I toured their shop with the owner about two weeks ago, and they've done a TOH for me in the past year, etc).

I would really appreciate some help in finding a core. The project has a phenomenally-built airframe (never flown but has airworthiness cert). An aerospace engineer built it for himself, but wants to use a different airframe for a project he's currently working on. This IV-P will be done very, very well, so I'd rather start with a core that doesn't have too many hours on it. I am told that I just need a repairable engine, and virtually none of the accessories, but will need the accessory gears.

As I understand now (and PLEASE, any and ALL information is greatly appreciated !):
I need a TSIO G-N-E or K.

The intakes need to be on the top, and so I believe the "C" version is out.

I've tried looking around, but there are only completed, rebuilt engines, or those with all the accessories (there's one from a Cirrus SR-22, which is pretty good, except it has everything with it...most of which, I can't use).

Also: does anyone know if I can use an IO-520 core to make a TSIO-550 ? I had heard some question that this core has the same case, crank, cam, etc and can be used as well.

Appreciate it!
Last edited by admin on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to classifieds
Peter Craig
Building IV-P

Re: Anyone have a lead on a core? (TSIO-550)

Postby Scott Fordham » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 pm

E is what most have 350hp. C is ok, just a de-rated certified E. G is geared I believe so don’t do that to yourself. K is the one made for Cirrus that just runs at 2500 rpm (I don’t know anything about em) N is normally aspirated
Scott Fordham
Former Chief Pilot-
RDD Enterprises
LOBO Instructor
Scott Fordham

Re: Anyone have a lead on a core? (TSIO-550)

Postby J.C. Peterson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm

Scott Fordham wrote:E is what most have 350hp. C is ok, just a de-rated certified E. G is geared I believe so don’t do that to yourself. K is the one made for Cirrus that just runs at 2500 rpm (I don’t know anything about em) N is normally aspirated

The TSIO-550G are on the Mooney Acclaim, but they don’t have gear reduction. They’re turbonormalized and have 280 HP at 2500 RPM.

Don’t confuse that with the GTSIO-520 & 550. The 520s are in Cessna 421s. The geared 550s are extremely rare, and I’m not sure what aircraft they were even used in.
J.C. Peterson
Elite Pilot Services
J.C. Peterson

Re: WTB: TSIO-550, core only

Postby Peter Craig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 pm

It'll definitely be an E. But is the case, crank and cam the same on the others? Can the others be made to be an E? Anyone happen to know of differences? Maybe I'll need a conversation with Continental...if that's even possible. Thanks guys!
Peter Craig
Building IV-P

Postby Steve Richard » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:54 am

Try theses guys: https://coairparts.com/
Steve Richard
ES

Postby Tom Thibault » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:40 pm

Peter,
Talk to Rhonda Barrett at Barrett Precision Engines in Tulsa. I think they have an STC to turn a 520 into a 550. I assume you already have all the accessories??? If you want a tested engine ready to install, you could ship everything to BPE and let them provide the core to do it. Or have her ship a built up core to you/Western Skyways.
Lancair IVP N229GM.

Plus, "soon to be for sale" LNC2, Lyc IO360-B1F with 10:1 pistons and Zavatson plenum.
Big Tail, Short Mount, Outback Gear, and 3 pc (Zavatson) doors.
Full IFR, MH Ox Sys, ALL Dynon Panel w/ADS_B In/Out
Tom Thibault

Postby Peter Craig » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks much guys. I've seen a lot of people getting engines from Barrett in Lancair forums, so I think going with them is likley a really good option. Also thanks for the tip on Colorado airparts. I have a Zenith 701 in Delta (where they're located) so I'm going to visit them in person next time I'm down there.

Yeah, someone told me that a Zenith 701 STOL would be good as an easy transition to a IV-P. :banghead:
Peter Craig
Building IV-P

Return to Classifieds