WTB: Wingtip lenses

Buy, Sell. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics and things that can be used by others (or if you need specific items). As of April 1, 2018 all Classified are paid listings. There are options for listings on LancairParts.store and LancairsForSale.com depending on parts, aircraft or kits for sale. WTB ads are free. Contact admin for more information.
Forum rules
WTB(Want to Buy) ads are free. WTS(Selling) ads have a fee to support this site. List your kit, plane, parts, tools, jigs, mounts, engines, avionics BUT YOU MUST INCLUDE A PRICE. A fee of 1% of asking price per month applies but that is capped at $25 maximum monthly. Example $300 part is $3. An airplane would be $25.
Contact admin for more information. Make your payment directly using the PayPal button. Thank you!

WTB: Wingtip lenses

Postby TJ OShaughnessy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:41 am

Looking for clear plastic wingtip lenses for a Legacy...anyone have some or know where I can get a set?

Thanks!
TJ OShaughnessy
IV-P enthusiast

Re: WTB: Wingtip lenses

Postby Doug Sowder » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 pm

TJ OShaughnessy wrote:Looking for clear plastic wingtip lenses for a Legacy...anyone have some or know where I can get a set?

Thanks!

TJ,
I bought a pair of such lenses from Legacy Innovations back about 5 years ago. I wasn't satisfied with the fit of the lenses that were on my Legacy when I bought it, and at tome point I'll get around to fitting the new ones. I see now that the Legacy-Innovations.com website leads to a story about the build of a Velocity Twin. I don't know if that's the same Ron or not, but it's a lead, perhaps.

Doug Sowder
Doug Sowder
LegacyRG

Postby Chuck Walker » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm

Ron Jones sold Legacy Innovations to Vern Pifer, who used to work for Lancair in Redmond before retiring. I've purchased a couple replacement lenses for my Legacy from Vern. I didn't specify the acrylic thickness the first time around (assuming it would be the same as the original), and it was made from 1/8" material. It did not fit flush with the wing. I requested the second be made from 3/32" material and it fit the recess in my wingtip perfectly. The parts come well oversize as they are drawn over a mold, so there is significant trimming, sanding and fitting required. Vern's contact info is as follows:

Vern Pifer
5405 SE Sioux Loop
Prineville, OR 97754
541-408-5106
vernon.pifer1@gmail.com
Chuck Walker --- L2K 138 --- N27EB
Chuck Walker
LegacyRG

Postby TJ OShaughnessy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 am

Thanks for a couple leads...I'll post the results as I contact them.

TJ
TJ OShaughnessy
IV-P enthusiast

Postby admin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:56 am

if you talk to Vern, let him know he can list his Legacy parts here. We need all the parts support we can get. pictures and prices would be very helpful.
Trouble with photos or login or passwords or avatars or anything, you can PM or email or simply call. you can use text and skype also.
USA 406-873-8311
Canada 587-432-7536
admin

Postby Chuck Walker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm

Unless something has changed, Vern doesn't stock the lenses. They are made to order for him in southern California, probably the same supplier used by Ron. Vern had his supplier drop-ship the lense directly to me. You also need to specify right or left wing tip. They are not the same part....at least on my aircraft.
Chuck Walker
LegacyRG

Postby admin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm

Although he may not stock those parts, at least we could have a place to hit a button and have them ordered. The offer remains to list if he wishes.
Trouble with photos or login or passwords or avatars or anything, you can PM or email or simply call. you can use text and skype also.
USA 406-873-8311
Canada 587-432-7536
admin

Postby Chuck Walker » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:08 pm

Paul, where do we go on the site to access push-button ordering of parts you've made available? That's a great service!
Chuck Walker
LegacyRG

Postby admin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 pm

where do we go on the site to access push-button ordering

It's not there yet so it is the PM or email button. The biggest issue is we don't know what parts we have or what we need. Typically, a factory will publish the list and pricing and we go there but things are a bit different for Lancair owners. Parts are a profit center and life blood of aircraft makers (not the hulls). I'd love to get my hands on the parts side but this brand support is so disjointed I'll never figure out who is on first base.

We have a lot of vendors who make things we need and we're accumulating distributorships for the big ticket items like Hartzell and MT and Aircraft Spruce and we have affiliations with EarthX and Garmin dealers. What we don't have is a comprehensive list of aircraft parts or which ones we need to have priority with.

The shops deal with this issue daily but they are jammed with backlogs and they squirrel away parts and feed off them or duplicate them. Guys like Risse were supposed to provide is with struts a year ago and they have not delivered. I don't have the resources at this time to tackle the big picture. Ideally, we would have a group structure, more formal tha this site, to solicit parts and provide a comprehensive list of what is/isn't available. A 501(c)7 could then contract suppliers, contributions would be tax deductible and profits could go into new parts. I know we'll never see drawings or IP for parts but you can always hope. For all the consumables, like wing tip lenses, I would foresee hitting a "button" some day and having all those items drop shipped directly. The days of stocking gas springs and spark plugs is so in the past.

For batch items we might need to fund a batch of often-used components. I have hundreds of actuator cylinders and other parts but I'm not putting EarthX on the shelf when the factory can send them in a day or two directly. If we simply bought our props and avionics here it would pay for mounts and struts and other parts easily.

At this time we need struts, mounts, actuators and more. Why they aren't stocked in Texas is a mystery. It is incredible to see the growth of owner-supplied parts and I hope it continues. If I was Lancair and needed parts I would consider licensing the IP so owners could maintain their aircraft. Focus is on building kits from the previous factory I suppose.

Bottom line is list what you need as a WTB here and see who responds. If the volume became sustainable then it makes sense to create the entity to service parts formally. For now, parts is a cottage industry for Lancair owners.
USA 406-873-8311
Canada 587-432-7536
admin

Postby TJ OShaughnessy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Thanks for the leads! I did a bit of digging and here is what I have found. Vern is no longer doing any Legacy related work at this time (super nice guy BTW). He transferred the molds for the wingtip light mounting to Brian Alley. Brian will make the mounting brackets, but he doesn't do the plastic lenses and didn't have the molds. He also does some speed fairings so looks like a good contact for Legacy owners. I have his number and will double check if its OK to post...otherwise PM me and I will pass it on.

I called Vern back and he gave me the number for the company that previously made the lenses for him, a company called Aircraft Windshield. The contact he had given me had retired from the company, but Jessica was able to look up and identify the correct molds. They contacted Vern to get a release to use the molds for for my lenses and he gave the thumbs up. So they are now able to make the lenses for anyone that calls in. Vern suggested getting them made with 3/32" thickness. Contact number for the lenses is 562-430-8108.

I'll update when get the lenses and report if it all comes together!

TJ
TJ OShaughnessy
IV-P enthusiast

Return to Classifieds