Poll: What would you do in this scenario?

Moderator: LancairTalk Support

Forum rules
Lancairs for Sale. Include price and photos and specifications. Contact admin for placement fees and duration of advertisement.

How would you respond to your insurer?

Accept the estimate and move on with repair without teardown
No votes
Accept the estimate and pay for your own teardown
No votes
Refuse to accept the estimate
17%
Request more estimates and / or call the engine and prop OEMs for guidance
33%
Hire an advisor (engine shop, lancair shop, insurance expert) to advise you
20%
Do nothing and wait
No votes
Send a demand, hire a lawyer and go to court if required
27%
Another option not on this list
3%

Total votes : 30

Poll: What would you do in this scenario?

Postby admin » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:35 pm

This is a poll, your name is not part of the results but would be in the database somewhere if that is important.

Fact: Your Lancair IV-P is flown for inspection by a qualified CFI and the pilot forgets to put the gear down. The airplane is damaged to the bottom of the fuselage. The blades are bent and the engine and hub are stopped suddenly.

Fact: The pilot's insurer (your broker) informs you, the owner, you do not need an engine inspection or teardown inspection of hub or any other rotating components. The insurer has told you your claim will only pay for repairs not including the tear down.

Question: You will keep the airplane and intend to fly it after repairs and bring your family with you. How would you respond to this scenario? Please answer in the poll and comment separately if you wish.

Please keep comments generic, not specific to any airplane or file.
Last edited by admin on Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: global poll for 10 days
toll free 1-866-300-KNOT (866-300-5668)
For support issues email support@lancairtalk.net
For sales of parts, batteries, planes, avionics sales@lancairtalk.net
For website issues admin@lancairtalk.net
admin

Re: Poll: What would you do in this scenario?

Postby Tristan Gibbs » Wed Sep 11, 2024 3:57 pm

There has to be something more to the story. The definition of a sudden stoppage is very clear from the engine manufacturers, so unless the policy doesn't include the motor which I've never seen before (doesn't mean anything haha), then none of this makes sense.
Lancair 320 ... was a daily driver ... now either going to be a play toy or sold
Legacy RG IO-550 Powered
Tristan Gibbs

Postby admin » Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:21 pm

Tristan, yeah, lots of background and more than one airplane in our history has had these issues. For now, I would like the community's thinking on a generic scenario. We are coming to a point where a closed discussion with owners is appropriate and the time is almost there where no insurance representation on LancairTalk will be permitted.

I do appreciate everyone taking the poll even if you have not experienced these issues. Even Fixed gear people have prop stops.
admin

Postby Chris Norman » Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:41 pm

I would hire an attorney to submit a letter stating that if an engine failure occurs as a result of the insurance company's refusal to have the engine turn down and inspected, that they accept full and complete liability for Injury, death or dismemberment including up to willful malpractice and or gross negligence. The letter should include an opinion from a reputable independent facility recommending the teardown and perhaps a letter from AOPA's attorneys too.

The crank has to be dialed out and dye penetrant testing for cracks in the crankcase.

I'd ultimately tell them you will cover it or report the insylurance agency to your state board of insurance.

Of course this is assuming the prop strike was a running engine event and you first get independent evaluations as I mentioned. Then tell the insurerance company that you have "exhausted all remedy" other than litigation.

I'm kind of litigious when it comes to things that could kill me if not done right.
Chris Norman
Legacy enthusiast

Postby Dave Taylor » Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:53 pm

How much time is on this engine?

(I wonder if it is a high-time scenario and the owner was told that the betterment involved would somehow make a claim net out to some insignificant amount, and that the other option was to not claim on the engine at all. I think many policies involve betterment these days.)
2007 Lancair IV - 3rd owner. Acquired May 2018
email me at wtxvets@sbcglobal.net
Dave Taylor
IV

Postby admin » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:25 pm

This is not the case Dave. In fact, an appraiser sourced a quote from a shop that did not include a teardown or provision for engine work. This was the lowest of three quotes by far and was forced onto the aircraft owner as the only solution available. This work scope is not in accordance with Continental requirements making the completed airplane likely unairworthy.

When appraisers and parties are doing stupid stuff like that you know something isn't right. The full story is coming including all the names and companies.
admin

Postby Chris Zavatson » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:51 am

For purposes of insuring or paying out on a claim, do insurance companies ever consider if an engine has been modified?
Chris Zavatson
N91CZ
L360-std
www.N91CZ.net
Chris Zavatson

Return to Aircraft for Sale